Welcome to the Substrate Developer Hub.
As a next generation blockchain framework, Substrate has three distinct features:
- A dynamic, self-defining state-transition function.
- Light-client functionality from day one.
- A progressive consensus algorithm with fast block production and adaptive, definite finality.
You might be looking for the reference documentation for Substrate's Rust codebase. You can find those crate docs in our Reference Documentation.
Guided User Stories
If you are not sure where you should get started, check out our Guided User Stories which are designed to take you down the quickest path to get you started with Substrate.
We have created many end-to-end tutorials to help you learn about the different parts of Substrate. Go to the Tutorials page and start building today!
Within the Substrate ecosystem, you can build blockchains, smart contracts, and even user interfaces! Here is a quick overview of the different products that comprise this space:
- Substrate: A next generation blockchain development framework built using WebAssembly, Libp2p, and GRANDPA consensus.
- ink!: A Rust-based eDSL for building WebAssembly smart contracts compatible with Substrate's Contracts module.
- Polkadot-JS/API: Promise and RxJS APIs for interacting with Substrate-based chains via RPC calls.
- Polkadot-JS/Apps: A basic UI for interacting with all features of a Substrate node. Powered by Polkadot-JS/API.
- oo7-substrate: A ReactJS based API for interacting with Substrate-based chains via RPC Calls. Also known as the "Bonds" library.
- Substrate UI: A basic ReactJS-based UI built for quickly building new interfaces for Substrate chains. Powered by oo7-substrate.
Join the Community
Substrate has a rapidly growing, friendly, and technical community. Ask questions and work with others who are building in the space. Check out all the community resources available to you via our Community page.
If you find something missing in our Developer Hub, have a suggestion for additional docs, or find some part confusing, please open an issue on our documentation repository with your suggestions for improvement. We would love to continually improve our Developer Hub.